Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Realms of Fantasy

So Allumineria is taking a bit of a back burner stance for the time being. Not fully but I have something else I need to work on. Along with getting my etsy shop up and running to hopefully raise funds to get my kitty to the vet, I have finally found a story I hope to submit to Realms of Fantasy magazine.

I don't know many publications for short stories such as this, so have been wracking myself for nearly 4 yrs to try and find something that seemed to fit RoF's genre of Fantasy as they specifically do not accept "Elves and such things" or your basic traditional Fantasy which I adore writing...I think I have finally found something though.

Inspiration randomly hit after reading The Charge of the Goddess recently for a story to do for Pagan Culture's Pagan Fiction in 113 Words or Less Which won't be posted on Magaly's blog until the New Moon but I shall post below (shhhh lol) and after playing out the short story aspect of it in my head one night as drifting off to sleep, I decided it would be a good story to expand. Their maximum word count is 10,000. I think if I can push it to 5000 - 6000 without it getting boring or repeating I will be lucky, but we shall see. There doesn't seem to be a minimum word count, so my aim is 5000 minimum. I know there is much more, and more details, to be added to this little piece and yet more mystery as well to shroud it in, so it shouldn't be to overly hard to expand upon.

I have also decided to work, initially, free hand on paper. Not only does this give me more time and options to work on a story at any given time (I love my laptop but it's a big 17 inch with the webcam and so is mighty heavy and a pain in the rear to move around a lot...plus the battery life sucks horribly...) but I can scribble away into the night with less disturbance to the hubby when he's working, etc. and if I get a job somewhere that is slow at times and is okay with me doing 'school work' I can bring it with me if I get a job soon too. Of course I despise typing things up, but it takes two to three drafts to get things right anyway, so by the time I get to typing up the second draft I will have, hopefully, have found most of my mistakes.

So, this being said...Allumineria will be switched over to paper. I needed to edit the first chapter anyway and most of it will stay the same. While it's not my front project right now, I can work on it in between if I get block on my short story or just need a tiny break from it to work on something else. Anywhoo here is said short story, hope you enjoy!



The Never-Ending Dance
I stared at my feet in the grass. Hushed voices surrounded me. I looked up at the silver moon and all fell silent.

I looked to the center of the circle. She beckoned me. Without process, I stood before her. Her eyes blazed, taking my breath.

Her hands took mine. His found my waist. We twirled, twisted, danced for a lifetime. I stumbled. Four hands caught me. Two lips found my cheeks. I was alone, again staring at the cool, dark grass.

Voices silenced as my blazing eyes looked up at the young soul. I felt my lover by my side and opened my arms. Beckoned her to join our never-ending dance.



On a side note. I hope to create my first drawing to sell on Etsy inspired by this piece as well.

2 comments:

  1. I can see them dance under the silver moon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has the beauty of poetry and a sensation of dream realms.
    I read it several times and each time it felt closer to home.

    ReplyDelete